Thursday, April 14, 2005

My indulgence

“Hi! How are you? Did I miss your birthday? Or is it next week??”

I laughed when I got this text message from Lot, one of my closest friends in high school. (forgetting birthdays, our common trait)

I replied, “ Am good. No you haven’t missed it. Yes, it is next week. Still have time to buy me a gift”

After the usual updates, I send her a message:

“Why don’t we meet next week..You can buy me dinner.”

We haven’t seen each other in over a year, so I was confident I won’t rebuffed.

“No problem!” GREAT!

This morning, I got a series of emails from my college friends who are cooking up something for my birthday celeb. Cool, I thought. One is the designated driver, the other one is going to make reservations. Did I mention that I am with a highly organized group of friends? I only had to show up.

After a while, I got another text message from another friend: “hello dear, how was the mission trip? When are we going to meet?” Long story, short. I go to their place for dinner. Great! Hmm. We haven’t seen each other in six months!

Then a message from yet another friend, “As promised, the free Repertory tickets are with me. Friday, 8pm. Since you’re the birthday girl, you should buy me dinner.” (This is the problem with friends you see most of the time.)

Ah, I have to negotiate this one. I’d hate to break momentum.

Next week might just be seven days of pure gastronomic delight.. with calories to boot!

No comments: