Tuesday, April 12, 2005

A day in the life

30 minutes, 135 cal, 2.7 kms

I stared at the stats of the treadmill machine and looked at the mirror in front of me. It sure looked like more than half an hour to me! And 135 calories! All that running and I only used up 135 calories! To think it only takes less time to have that much calories back.

I wanted to do another set of 30 minutes. It has been awhile since I visited the gym (count: two months). I felt like I needed to “catch up” . But nah. That won’t work.!

I went to the other machines, concentrating on the lower extremeties. Doing more than 3 sets on each machine. My overeagerness is getting the better of me, I knew that. So after a while, I decided to do the usual stretches before hitting the shower.

Now the fun part! Lunch with my gym buddies! Of course, I was with my weight conscious friends so I dutifully ordered salad and soup. Lunch stretched to more than 2 hours. Girl talk really eats up a huge amount of time.

Then back home to do some domestic chores before going back to the mall to catch a movie with a friend from college, Gilda. This time we talked about her new golden retriever she bought from someone who apparently is a distant relative. She is thinking of returning the puppy because of a minor fault (they call it fault) in one of its hind legs.

Gilda: Should I return the puppy and exchange it for a better one?

Drifter: Sure. The owner did say you can return if there is something wrong.

Gilda: But I have grown attached to him the three days he is with me. What if there is no more available puppy as cute as he is?

Drifter: Then, don’t exchange him. (see how I helpful I can be)

Gilda: But what if this is just a symptom of a disease? Plus, it has only been three days, I am not too attached, really.. Problem is: I got it for 1/3 its market price because the owner is a relative. Am I not being too ungrateful?

Drifter: (this time I was giving her a smirk)
What do you really want?
(I am really poor at beating around the bush)

The conversation went on and on until finally, she asked me:

Gilda: What would you do if you were in my place?

Drifter: I will keep him. (and I smiled)

She thought I was just bluffing. She has known me a long time but still find it hard to figure out when she will take me seriously. After a while, I convinced her that I was serious about keeping puppy.

I haven’t asked Gilda what her final decision is. I hope she would keep him. Limp or no limp. I can’t wait to see the puppy. A golden retriever!!!

Oh by the way, the next day, my legs were so sore (thanks to my exaggerated sense of duty to catch up on lost time at the gym) , I couldn’t walk straight!!

1 comment:

Swipe said...

whoa! that's some serious work out!