Monday, January 23, 2006

In the course of time

So am I going to keep this stuff so that I have something to throw away the next time I do a clean up?

Words of wisdom from one of my friends, Ethel. Years back, I remember hearing her dilemma whenever she clears some of the things in her house. During one of my own clutter clearing sessions, I remember her words.

How right you are Ethel, I spoke aloud as if talking to my friend who now lives in the US. Most of the files I stuff inside the garbage bags are those I previously decided to keep for whatever reason. I guess now, two years later, their meaning is lost on me.

Time does change a person. Some things that you choose to treasure do change in course of time. The old pictures fade as the vibrant colors of new photographs capture your fancy. The ties of certain friendships loosen their hold on you. You find that you have outgrown some habits and certain people. I guess, for as long as I know that I am moving forward, growing and blooming into the person God fashioned me to be, I must embrace these changes.

I feel no tinge of regret as I tear and crumple papers, letters and cards, almost emptying a box full of lettered memories.

Some items, I decided to keep but Ethel’s words ring inside my head.

Am I going to keep this stuff so that I have something to throw away the next time I do a clean up?

I thought about what she said and thought some more.

Dear Ethel, no matter how hard I try to keep a room uncluttered, there remains to be things that I want to keep with me, just because.

I know that someday, I will throw away these same stuff that for now, I choose to keep. I also know that there are things that I will always keep, those that cannot be weathered by time, indelibly a part of who I am.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hey friend! Can you come to my room one of these days and repeat those words to me again and again? :- ) being a sentimental person makes it hard for me to throw things... but slowly...oh ever so slowly, i am learning... but I think I have 20 years of clutter inside my drawers ... like you, i cannot throw all of them away, they remind me of that part of me that i will always treasure ( i need reminders, always!)

Drifter said...

Sure Jen, be glad to help. For someone who has moved four times during the last nine years, I am quite the expert on the art of 'letting go'. And according to an Oprah episode, you do need an independent person to help you. :D