Friday, January 20, 2006

Clutter clearing

For the fourth time in two weeks, I receive a corporate announcement regarding the automatic email deletion policy that takes effect next month.

Since mid December, I have been doing gradual clean up of my mailbox because we will only be allowed to keep emails no older than 120 days on a going forward basis. The US Headquarters even sends out countdown to the effective date of implementation on top of the regular reminders! Translation: we mean business so listen up and do as you’re told or you will lose your files!

So, email by email, sender by sender, I read and delete or read and store my electronic files in my personal folders. A task that I thought would bore me to tears turned out to be a surprisingly enjoyable journey of remembering!
------
Much like the flooding of reminders on the email deletion policy, I also get a considerable number of emails regarding our move to the 19th floor. I get timelines from our admin head, reminders and requests to make our move as seamless as possible. Needless to say, the first step always requires searching through files.

Here I go again ! I thought with a sigh. But this one needs no clicking of the mouse. This clean up I do the old –fashioned way. Thankfully, I only have a manageable amount of files so I was able to clean up in two hours. There is something about literally tearing those old papers with your bare hands. Crumpling and tearing paper in a seemingly reckless way is almost … therapeutic.
-------
NONE can be more cathartic and daunting than clutter cleaning an apartment. In a few weeks’ time, I will leave my place, my own private hideaway for the last two years to double up in a room in another apartment with a friend of mine. But before I can do that, I have an enormous amount of clutter to contend with. Moving to a smaller space means either giving away a few things, throwing some away or bringing them back home! Bummer!

The toughest part is deciding what to do with my I-don’tknow-why-I-keep-them-in-the-first-place-but-I-want-them-with-me things. I made a mental note not to do my stuff-sorting at least two days before and after my monthly mood swing. Either that or I will be too emotional to let go of anything!

Despite the hassle, I look forward to my clutter clearing ‘sessions’. Yup, I decided to break them down into manageable chunks so that I wont feel too overwhelmed. More than the physical clutter though, I find myself sorting out, figuring out and letting go of some inner clutter as well. I say, what a
great way to start the year!

When I am finally ready to move in to a new place, I know that I will be one ‘cleaned out, clutter free’ gal as well.

... A girl can hope, cant she?….

3 comments:

Beng said...

The beauty of an uncluttered life (or at least, soon-to-be)...I envy you. This made me think of my own uncluttering myself! Great to read a new post from you again!

Anonymous said...

ako din, inggit...why is it so hard to start 'unclutterring' when you don't have a deadline or when no one is breathing down your neck? :-)

Drifter said...

You know you are right. No deadline, no one breathing down my neck - the reasons why it is taking me forever to move to another apartment. I had to bodily force myself get going. :D