Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Disoriented

Monday at half past seven in the evening. I wear a satisfied smile on my face while I attach the excel file and type in a summary of the report. I felt pretty good about the report I have put together for my boss. As I click the ‘send’ button, a surge of eagerness washed over me. I can't wait to discuss this one with her tomorrow, I thought.

During my initial meeting with Maria (my boss), we agreed to have biweekly phone calls, with or without any deliverables. Being managed by a superior located halfway across the globe is quite difficult without the regular updates and yes, some small talk.


Tomorrow, is our next scheduled call.

Anyways, the next day, 9am. I dial her number and I hear her machine. I leave a quick message to tell her I will call in ten minutes. Maybe she is having dinner with her husband, I thought. Ten minutes later, I call again. Still, the machine picked up my call. I leave a second message. Hmmm. This is unusual. Absentmindedly, I check my calendar and - Oh no!! I thought in dismay. Then ended up laughing aloud. By myself. Imagine how that looked.

……..….

Oh yes, I called a day earlier! I should call her Wednesday, 9am. (Tuesday 8pm EST). Arrgh! I scolded myself, “you have been calling her Wednesday mornings for the past three months, why get confused after all this time?” My answer, “ I don’t know. Tao lang. ( I am only human).”

I drop Maria an email, apologized for the confusion and promised to call tomorrow.

I am just relieved she didn’t pick up the call herself! Not that she will get angry or anything. She’ll probably laugh but … I cringe at the thought.

The rest of my Tuesday was uneventful after that. In this case, I’d take uneventful anytime!!

3 comments:

Beng said...

It happens to the best of us. Just recently, a friend went to the office because we were going to a concert (or so she thought!) She came a day earlier!:-) It was worth a good laugh, and something we'll be laughing about for a long, long time.

But hey, is it just a girl thing? Do this kind of disorientation happen to guys too? Hmmm...

Drifter said...

I think it was the overeagerness that made us (your friend and myself) disoriented. =)

Swipe said...

To me the title of this entry is disorientated. hehehehe