Tuesday, May 23, 2006

My cup runneth over

After a cursory knock on her doorpost,  I went inside Jovy’s room for her signature on my medical reimbursement form.  She stood up and closed the door behind me.  Though a bit puzzled that a simple reimbursement would require confidentiality, I sat down and let her see the receipts.

 

“How is your mother?” she asked.

 

I give her a quick update. 

 

Over the last few month, Jovy and I have developed a certain degree of friendship.  Although not my direct superior, I made deliberate efforts to make her feel that I recognize her seniority.  Evidently, my efforts were appreciated.  These past months, I have also gained insights from her people management style.

 

She hands me the signed form and then –

 

“I know that you only report to me administratively so I am not sure if I am in a right place to ask this but –

 

I thought, whoa whoa whoa.  What is this???

 

 

………   “Are you happy with your current salary rate?”……….

 

 

Her question floored me but I recovered quickly –

 

No I am not”

 

She smiles “ I am glad that you can be honest about it."

 

“Don’t get me wrong Jovy, it is not a bad rate.  I just know that I deserve a higher amount.  If I choose to leave the company, I am sure I can get a better rate.”

 

That isn’t a bluff.  am confident that can do that. 

 

She asked me how our HR offered the rate and I give her a brief history.

 

“I decided to accept it because, I didn’t want to leave the company yet.  I had an option during that time but I decided against it.” 

 

Sensing that this is the right time, I continued, ‘This year is my reckoning year, Jovy.  If by end of quarter one next year, I am not satisfied with my rate, I will resign.  In fact, this year, my focus is to prepare my resume for next year.”

 

She was quiet for a  while. And then she starting speaking.

 

She was very general in her explanation but, coming from the financial planning group,  I understood what she was driving at which I translate as:

 

Bottomline, there will be funds available to justify a jump in salary.

 

She continues, “BUT…..”   (ohhhhh there is that word)

 

 “… having it within the year would be difficult. I can’t promise that.  We will try.  In time for next year’s appraisal, I know that we could do something to align your salary.“

 

Awwww. Why did I have to know this now??  (ang EQ ko! Ang EQ ko!)

 

That would have been enough to dampen my mood but I have long decided to stay until December anyway.  With all the stress that I have been going through since last year, I didn’t want a new job to add to it.  If there will be any major move, it will be next year.  But I didn’t tell her that.

 

“I am aware of how much your rate can go given the range of salary for managers. We can do something about it even though it will be for next year.  RT (her boss, the Operations Director for AsiaPac) can swing that.  By the way, how much was your increase?”

 

I gave her  the rate.  In my previous department, that rate would have been okay but with Operations, it was at the lower end.

 

She slightly bowed her head and said “I am sorry about that. Maybe because you were fairly new in the group.  (excuses excuses) We will do something about it.”

 

Finally, I  just had to ask her

 

“What happened Jovy?  What made you think about making an evaluation at this time of the year?  Not that I am complaining. Did someone speak with you or was it God who spoke to you directly?  I have been praying about that you know.”

 

She smiles and says “I just thought of it.”

 

My eyes widened, my voice confident. “Ahh so it was God who spoke to you directly!!”.

 

Her next words warmed my heart.  “You see, I really like you.  I like how you have managed to establish very good working relationships with my often stubborn managers. Mind you, they are not an easy group to get along with.  Even the junior staff find you very approachable.”

 

I think I blushed and only managed a smile and an “oh thanks, Jovy” 

 

Okay, I admit, I was teary eyed and I was sure she could see my eyes brimming with tears. (Na touch ako, promise!)

 

“You even managed to handle Mia. She doesn't seem to faze you. I know she is one tough cookie.”

 

Tell me about it!! I wanted to say but again, I choose to shut my mouth.

 

“I don’t know how you have been performing on Maria’s (my boss!!) side but as far as the operations side, my side is concerned,  I give you the highest marks. You had a steep learning curve but I know you have a good grasp of operations now.”

 

I wanted to tell her that I am getting pretty good marks from Maria as well but again, I shut my mouth and let her talk. I’d hate to interrupt the flow of words  affirming me.  (LOL)

 

“You have been a lot of help to my team.  And so I feel that you should get the commensurate salary. And our cost center can handle that.”

 

I smiled again. I think I couldn’t smile wide enough. 

 

“I like working with you and your team as well.” I said softly.  I was so poised, I must say. 

 

But inside of me???

 

YESSSSSSS!  ALRIGHT!  WAHOOOOOO!! THANK YOU GOD!  My spirit was doing the dance of joy.

 

“So I will make sure I give Maria my evaluation, solicited or unsolicited. And recommend to make the adjustment.”

 

I almost didn’t hear her with all the revelry in my head.

 

I said enthusiastically, “I am sure she wouldn’t mind unsolicited!!”

 

We both laughed.

 

It was lunch time.  Her phone rang  “Hello!  Yes, Melissa I will be there.”

 

“Don’t just think about leaving yet” she said as she opens the door for me.

 

I floated towards my workstation.

 

I know that Jovy  usually spends lunch with Melissa, her close friend at the office. I am also sure that I will be one of their topics over lunch.  Good!  Go ahead.  Talk about me. 

 

Melissa happens to be the HR Manager. 

 

There was nothing to tie Jovy to her words.  She could easily forget today’s conversation. (but i will be sure to remind her hehehe).  This may sound corny but her words were reward enough.  Her words filled my heart.  

 

When my nerves have settled, I realize that next year is still a looong time coming and for a few moments wished that the adjustment will happen within the year.  (Dapat first quarter pa nangyari ito eh! Growl.)

 

Still, for the next two days, this song (culled from Psalm 23) rings in my head:

 

“Lord, Your goodness and Your love will follow me all the days of my life

I’m surrounded with the favor of the Lord

Always and forever.”

  

Day three and the song still plays inside me.  :P

5 comments:

Beng said...

This will sound like a cliche but I'll say it anyway: I am so happy for you! Now, you can forget about that "Bad Day" song for a while. I was smiling while reading this.:) Amazing how God amazes us. Thanking the Lord with you, Gina. :-)

Anonymous said...

This is a stark contrast to the previous entry. And let me say this before I proceed to my wedding anniversary date (don't want to lose the momentum): Yes! Yes! Yes! I rejoice with you! :-) God is full of surprises. You deserve more than a simple "how are you" question. Jovy, next question, please.:-)

Anonymous said...

Dance of joy! When was the last time I heard that...I remember Balky (not sure of the spelling) in Perfect Strangers. Congratulations on a well-deserved affirmation (both emotionally and soon financially). Kelan celebration? :-) God is good!

Jen said...

guess what? call me sentimental or whatever but i got teary eyed while reading this entry! I am so happy for you! i know you deserve the praises!

Swipe said...

Congratulations Ateng! I know you deserve it. I'm really happy for you.